Chamomile is known for being perhaps the most soothing and gentle of all essential oils. Its well-documented and long-term use has made it one of the most popular herbs and essential oils on Earth. Despite it's popularity, most people have no idea what it does and where it comes from... Here's the Skinny.
- The Egyptians were the first documented group to use Chamomile cosmetically and to ward off fever and disease over 2000 years ago!
- The Romans are best known for Chamomile, where it was used to soothe soldiers’ nerves among many other uses. The Romans used Chamomile so extensively that the plant was dubbed “Roman Chamomile.”
- The Anglo-Saxons used it as one of their 9 sacred herbs.2
- Perhaps you even remember that it was Chamomile that soothed Peter Rabbit’s nerves and put him to bed... =)
So Chamomile has a long history of use, where it was regarded as a potent healing herb. However, until recently we did not know how or what made Chamomile so powerful.
Favorite Chamomile Essential Oil Benefits
Although there are many ways Chamomile can benefit us, here are our 3 favorite.
- Chamomile exhibits strong anti-inflammatory and painkilling characteristics when applied topically.3 It crushes swelling! Great to use on inflamed skin.
- Chamomile is highly relaxing and calming. A 2013 study showed that Chamomile aromatherapy calmed and stabilized the blood pressures of ICU patients.
- Chamomile possesses strong anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.4 This is why it was/is commonly applied to wounds. Combined with its antioxidant properties, Chamomile is a one, two punch for infected skin.
After learning a great deal about Chamomile essential oil and its myriad of benefits, Skinny & Co. decided that it would be an ingredient in two of our favorite products - our Body Butter and Calming Facial Oil. Both contain the highest quality Chamomile we could get our hands on. Try Skinny and see what Chamomile can do for you and your family.